The Racing Crew course follows on from the Learn to Sail keelboat course. It provides an opportunity to revise and consolidate the knowledge and skills you have already gained, as well as learning about sailing with spinnakers, and introducing you to yacht racing.
The course forms part of the Yachting NZ National Sailing Scheme and on completion participants will be awarded a YNZ National Sailing Scheme Level 2 Basic Skills (Racing Crew) Certificate.
You will put into practice the following key elements:
- crew roles, teamwork & communication
- advanced sail tuning & boat handling
- spinnaker hoists, gybes, drops
- wind awareness
- race starts
- racing rules
- This course has an on-the-water component. Dress warmly, even in summer. A wool or polypropylene base layer is a good idea, with at least one more warm layer on top. We provide you with a good quality set of breathable waterproof gear (pants and jacket) along with a lifejacket. A hat and sunglasses are also a good idea. Make sure that you have a strap or similar so that you don’t lose these overboard!
- This course is partly weather dependent. We will go on-the-water if it is safe to do so, but if it too windy, too wet or too cold, then we might have to stay ashore.
- Course 55: Saturdays – 28th November, 4th, 11th and 18th December . .